The aim of the Law degree programme is to equip graduates with the knowledge and skills required to protect and defend people and issues, and use law as a tool for the resolution of various social, economic and political conflicts in the society.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- Produce Law graduates whose level of education will equip them properly to serve as defenders of individuals and families, advisers to government and their agencies, companies, business firms, associations, etc;
- Prepare students for leadership positions in the various segments of the society;
- Equip graduates with the capacity for professional practice, self-employment, job placement in government or industries, and commitment to lifelong learning;
- Equip Law students with the knowledge and skills which qualify them for further studies as a way of ensuring sustained academic pursuits; and
- Make legal education available to persons such as Law Enforcement Officers, Politicians, etc who will need knowledge of law in their profession.
To achieve the above, the LL. B. programme integrates the teaching of traditional requisite law courses with emphasis on Nigerian Law and non-Law courses from outside the Faculty of Law throughout the duration of the programme. This way, the Law graduate can lay claim to some expertise or knowledge in fields which though are outside the main stream of Law are nonetheless relevant in its application.