The aim of the Criminology and Security Studies is to produce professional graduates to curtail the rising crime rate and persistent insecurity in Nigeria, which constitute a great threat to national development, harmony and coexistence. This makes it imperative to expose students to issues concerning safety and security with a view to addressing them. Thus, importance of mounting a programme on Criminology and Security Studies.
- Instil in students a sound knowledge of Criminology and Security Studies, an appreciation of its applications in different socio- cultural contexts and to involve the students in intellectually stimulating and satisfying experiences of learning and research.
- Provide students with broad and well balanced theories and methods of the discipline;
- Inculcate in students the ability to apply their knowledge and skills of the course to the understanding and solution of societal problems in Nigeria and globally;
- Provide students with relevant knowledge and skill base from which they can proceed to Post Graduate studies in special areas of Criminology and Security Studies or multi-disciplinary areas involving Criminology and Security Studies;
- Instil in students an appreciation of the importance of Criminology and Security Studies in contemporary world affairs; and
- Arouse the consciousness of students in entrepreneurship for self- employment as well as employment in public or private sectors of the economy.