The objectives of the Mass Communication programme include the following:
- to provide students with a balanced and broad-based training in the various fields of mass communication.
- to provide sound, theoretical and practical education in the media-centred domains of mass communication.
- to equip students with knowledge of media practice in Nigeria, Africa and the world through the study of concepts, theories and methods that provide such knowledge.
- to expose students to modern developments and technology in information gathering and dissemination through the mass media, with emphasis on computer-assisted reporting and on-line journalism.
- to evolve appropriate philosophies and policies for the operation and management of the country’s communication sector.
- to engineer efficient and effective communication support services for our various human and national development programmes and objectives;
- to undertake research on a continuous basis into the state of our national communication media, and make the findings available to policy makers.