Aims and Objectives:
In conformity with the foregoing philosophy, education and training in the Department of Accounting, TAU has the following specific objectives:
- To provide basic knowledge necessary for an understanding and analysis of problems related to the management of industrial, commercial, public and other humanitarian organisations.
- To inculcate in the students of management the skills required for identifying and defining problems and taking appropriate decisions, using the most appropriate scientific techniques and tools.
- To inculcate in the students an awareness of and sensitivity to environmental factors and realities and their impact on management practice and decision making.
- To develop leadership and interpersonal relation skills needed for understanding and managing organisation and group dynamics
- To train students who are capable of developing independent accounting systems for profits as well as non-profit organizations.
- To train students who are capable of assessing and appraising viability of accounting systems in organizations.
- To train students with the capability of preparing final accounts of a company in meeting the requirements of the Companies and Allied Matters Act and any such laws.
- To train students who are capable of meeting the challenges of accounting in the public sector of the economy.
- To produce students who are capable of independently running and maintaining public accounting firms with a view of rendering services to society as may be desired from time to time.
- To ensure that students have the ability to appraise and analyse independent accounting packages and develop their knowledge in meeting the challenges of information technology on the growth of the accounting profession.
- To produce students who are capable of conducting independent audits in private, public as well as other non-governmental organizations.
- To produce students with the ability to handle international accounting issues bothering International Accounting Standard meeting the requirements of National Accounting bodies such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN).
- To train students who are versatile in all areas of accounting including public sector accounting, taxation, auditing system, and audits, management accounting, international accounting, and so on.