The philosophy of the programme is the training of personnel to the highest academic and
professional standards in the identification, resolution, and sustainable management of
environmental health and safety issues. The programme will provide highly skilled manpower, trained specifically for promoting health and preventing illness through applying scientific skills to solving contemporary and emerging environmentally-induced health problems as well as in the effective and efficient management of cross-cutting environmental health hazards.
The overall objective of the Bachelor of Environmental Health Science Degree Programme is to impart relevant knowledge and skills needed for promotion and sustenance of the health and safety of man in his environment. The specific objectives are:
- To impart and generate knowledge that pertains to effective recognition and response to environmental health problems.
- To acquaint the students with the knowledge of prevailing communicable disease, their mode of transmission and methods of controlling the biological and physical environment so as to prevent them.
- To impart the basic knowledge of physical, sociological and biological theories, concepts and principles and application of these in the practice of environmental health.
- To impart skills and relevant methods used in identification, diagnosis and management of environmental health hazards.
- To impart on the students’ attitude of team work, leadership and scientific enquiry in relation to every aspect of his professional activities.
- To equip students with relevant knowledge and skill for advanced training and research in environmental health
Candidates may be considered for admission to 100 level B.EHS degree course after passing at the required level, the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), provided they obtain the Senior Secondary Certificate (SSC) (or equivalent) at a minimum of credit level in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken and passed at not more than two sittings.
- Direct Entry
- In addition to SSC requirements stipulated above, applicants should possess at least two A’ Level papers in relevant subjects, may be admitted into 200 level;
- ND in relevant discipline with at least upper credit grade in addition to the five credit passes as in (a) above may be admitted into 200 level;
- HND in relevant discipline with at least upper credit in addition to five credit passes as in (a) above may be admitted into 300 level; and
- A candidate who fulfils normal O’Level admission requirements and in addition holds an ND or HND certificates for Environmental Health Technologists.
Candidates wishing to transfer from one programme to Environmental Health Science for some good reason (s) may be considered for admission at the appropriate level. Any deficiencies in their background should be rectified by taking appropriate courses.
From the Desk of the Head of Department
It is my pleasure to most heartily welcome and congratulate you for making Thomas Adewumi University, Oko, TAU, your preferred University of choice. I can reassure you that you have made the right and wisest choice.
TAU is poised to create an enduring legacy as we will encourage and instil hard work, honesty, ethical decision-making, quality performance and spirit of teamwork within and across institutional boundaries. We guarantee good leadership and recognition of equal opportunities to achieve and maintain the highest standard in all endeavours.
We will keep with our Motto, Vision and Mission statements to build a World Class University recognized for its excellence in capacity building, service delivery and scholarship.
We are deliberately set out to train you, our students, to search for sustainable solutions to human development challenges and arm you with lifelong skills and competencies to develop sustainable solutions to the myriads of challenges faced by the society. We have therefore put in place excellent academic programmes and facilities that will ensure production of well- rounded graduates.
This information handbook is an academic prospectus for all the programmes being currently by the University. It is designed to provide you with the basic information on the course list for each academic programme and the synopsis of each course.
I therefore advise you to avail yourself with the information provided therein as a guide to the courses to register for in your respective programmes as well as go through details of the content of each course to be offered. You will be well guided on the procedure for registration, regulations governing conduct of examinations in the University as well as the rules and regulations for peaceful and productive living on the campus.
I wish you all the very best in all your endeavours and pray that the Lord God Almighty will crown your efforts with resounding success in this University to enable you go out into the world and be change agents.
Ag. H. O. D. Environmental Health Sciences